Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Conversational Jumpers

I noticed something funny today: people who are what I call 'conversation jumpers'.
Do you know the kind?


You'll meet them and  everything ( your names, whatcha-doin', etc.) is hurriedly exchanged in a few quick sentences back & forth. Then, it's onto the strange, funny & amusing dance of conversation!
You'll say something as they watch you eagerly and try to look like they are listening intently (maybe they actually are, I don't know sometimes)... and then as soon as you pause for a just a tiny space of a few seconds....
 they pounce! Jumping into the conversation!  Just like their namesakes.
(Often how quick they take over the talking can take me by surprise.)
Okay, so then they rattle on & on.... dear things.... about this & that  or anything, nothing and everything! Whew!

Next, you may try to add something later on and start to form a sentence (hooray! maybe you'll get in what you have to say!) but just when you think you're safe.....in jumps the Jumper! And they go, "Oh! yes! Yes, yes, I know what you mean. It's like this one time I---"


And back and forth, on it goes. :) Until they tire (which seems to not happen to quick) or you excuse yourself.
Or....you can do what I like to do and just sit/stand there and watch their fast-paced word patterns and trains of thought ramble all over the place. It's kind of fascinating, really!

I don't know, I like to notice the odd little things we humans do & laugh at them.
Now, I don't mean laugh at those people doing it per se, but rather laugh at us, all humans. We are funny! And we do these funny things. :)
All part of the design I guess.
{Right, God?}

2 comments:

  1. "I was learning about conversation jumpers - "

    "YEAH! That's so interesting! I read this blog post a little while ago about conversation jumpers. It was very insightful. You know, I think a lot of people actually become conversation jumpers without trying to. They just think of all these great things to say and it bursts out of them without them even trying. I think all of us have a conversation jumper lurking within us, don't you? It kinda reminds me of this one person I knew. Sometimes she was a very attentive listener, and other times she would just burst in on the conversation so fast I didn't know what was coming! She would talk about all kinds of things . . . . . . ."

    Sorry, I couldn't resist :-) Good observation though! We humans can be a funny breed sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't you a witty one! ;-)
    Yep, we do crazy things, we humans. It's fun to watch! lol

    ReplyDelete

Run your Fingers
along those Keys
and with your tapping tender
Wisdom's word or
A Good retort,
Kind intender.

Just remember,
the Lord watches and Hears.