Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Stink Bugs Hit the News?


"Roanoke, I believe, has got the hottest, the largest densities of these things
[in Virginia]," said Tom Kuhar, a professor of entomology at Virginia Tech.
He and other entomologists aren't sure why the bugs like Roanoke. (Of
course, people always say Roanoke is a good place to raise a family.)*
First I saw this article. ^ (And laughed, "a good place to raise a family"... lol)
Then I saw others just like it.
Then my Dad showed me more.
And I looked at the local papers.

Wow! Who would have thought?
I mean stink bugs of all things?
But it's a real fact and stink bugs are becoming a real problem apparently. I am quite aware of it personally as well; they've been hanging around my window and sneaking in the cracks lately. Just this morning I woke up with one peering at me from my shoulder! *flick* *scoop* and then *flush* is the only way I've found of getting rid of them without inciting their anger, or stink. :P

Seems like these Asian invaders should be proud of themselves and their recent front page fame. However, I think that they are too busy dodging angry enemies-in-human-form and sucking the life out of all our crops!

Take a look at ABC's, the Post-Gazette's, and a couple other news stations and science magazines' coverage of these lil' stinkers. ;)
But you know what's funny? I always thought these bugs looked rather, well handsome! All armored, jagged lined and militaristic looking.

Huh. Well now I think you can safely guess that I like these guys as much as I like Japanese beetles.... I don't! I know God made all things great and small (He did!) but these horrid, er, interesting insects were not supposed to eat every good thing in sight (i.e. our veggies & fruits) I believe! It's gotta be some post-Fall thing. So the simple fact is they do eat our stuff; they are still doing it, they're taking us over, and it's a nuisance! I think that gives us license to do with them as we please, no? ;)

{Down with the stinkbugs!}


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Ewww! That's so disturbing.... it's one thing to wake up to an alarm.... a completely different thing to wake up to a stinkbug! :P

    I always disliked those bugs. :) I guess it's rise of the stinkbugs AND the bedbugs! Both have been in the news lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have stinkbugs here in Arkansas, but not that many. And I've certainly never woken up with one on my shoulder! Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MissEmy~ PRE-cisely! Very, very distrubing. :P
    Oh, bed bugs?? Horrid! Don't want those fellas around here...

    Hattie~ Hear! hear! I'm glad you don't have too many. I never thought of what a nuisance they'd be until, well, they took over! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bedroom window screen lets a lot of those little guys in. I too lazy to fix it, so I'm just waiting for winter to come and kill them all. :P I wouldn't mind them much if they weren't so quick to cause a stink, but you can hardly even flick them without making the whole room smell awful. I have to admit, their protection system has saved many many of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is true. Even the slightest stir and they set off! Talk about a quick temper! Such evasive, tempermental & sneaky things that they are.

    You know, that is one benefit of a really harsh, cold winter. :) I would be MORE THAN happy to bundle up more if it meant the demise of nuisance beetles, bugs & ticks.....hmm, wait. {God's listening to this.} Do I --really--want a really cold winter? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hattie: it is good for you that in your place. their are less stink bugs. because in our place they really infesting even during at night they flew in our lights.

    ReplyDelete

Run your Fingers
along those Keys
and with your tapping tender
Wisdom's word or
A Good retort,
Kind intender.

Just remember,
the Lord watches and Hears.